Saturday, October 31, 2009

Halloween 2009

This was a bit of an interesting Halloween. The neighborhood we live in is probably 50 percent German and 50 percent American. It is also a relatively new neighborhood, most of the houses have gone up in the last 3 years... so the Germans are learning and totally LOVING some of our American customs. Germans do recognize "All Hallows Eve" which is the evening before All Souls Day.... it is a Holy Day recognized in Germany... but it is the American influence of going door to door getting candy that they were unfamiliar with. So... it was fun having little German kids who could not speak English coming up to our door and smiling sweetly as they attempted to say 'Trick or Treat"... Then to hear Danke... so cute!

And as for my little cuties... Leo Michael opted for classic villian... Darth Vader...
And my little princess opted for Classic Literature! She was a Greek Goddess (Athena... my favorite one)...

Since technically both of my kids had fevers... we did not go to a party before as planned. I let them Trick or Treat with some neighborhood friends... but Emma only lasted about 20 minutes before I took her home and she went straight to bed. Leo, fever and all, lasted the entire time...
And last week we had an adult party. I was not planning to go since my babysitter fell through. But a friend 'kidnapped' my kids from me and forced me to go... Since I had no costume planned, I came up with a quick improvisation. Strawberry Shortcake. But of course, since I usually try to be ironic or satirical with my costumes... I added a quick pillow to become "Irresponsible Strawberry Shortcake". I know... tacky and tasteless... but adult Halloween parties usually are. I only stayed at the party for an hour since I was on a borrowed sitter who was already watching other kids... but I am glad Lisa dragged me out...


No comments: